CBS radio is the leading electronic media house in Uganda with over 10 million active listeners every day. Due to CBS social, economic and cultural influence, some of CBS listeners organized the selves into form an organized social group to champion the radio’s cause.
The fans or loyalists of Central Broadcasting Service Ltd (CBS FM) are the primary consumers of CBS FM’s on air product and other projects. They decided to form a club through which they would get a chance to interact with people of similar interests hence the creation of CBS Fans Club on the 19th July 1997 exactly one year since the official opening of their beloved Central broadcasting Service (CBS FM). They started as a Kampala Listeners Club but after sometime its demand increased and so the club spread its wings to cover other districts in the country where the Radio was broadcasting.
The districts include Wakiso, Mukono, Jinja, Masaka, Mityana, Kalangala, Luweero, Nakasongola, Rakai and many others. They have branches with functioning executives of 3,456 memberships in the counties of Buganda Kingdom: Kyaddondo, Busiro, Mawokota, Buluuli, Bulemeezi, Butambala, Buvuma, Ssingo, Kyaggwe, Kooki, Buddu and Kabula.
The memberships of the CBS Fans Club have grown from the initial 80 to 20,000 as of 2011.
Objectives of CBS Fans Club:
- To advocate and crate a spirit of brotherhood among the members and all listeners of CBS FM.
- To support the Objectives of CBS FM and also participate where necessary as would be directed by the Radio’s management.
- To create a good working relationship between all listeners, moderators and staff of CBS FM.
- To create a net work of friends who can help fellow fans improve their standard of living for a better life by raising money to support their small income generating activities.
- To uplift the living conditions of the members through programs aimed at poverty eradication e.g. Micro Finance projects where members can borrow money to invest in their small enterprises.
- To promote cultural programs broadcast on CBS FM so that our cultural norms and traditions are preserved for future generations.
- To mobilize and always encourage fans to be more creative so as to start developmental projects for poverty eradication purposes and increase of family net incomes for good living.
- It has been able to grow into a huge club with massive numbers. It is the biggest fan base compared to any other Radio Station.
- CBS FM has given to the clubs cows and chickens and money towards their development projects to help eradicate poverty.
- The fans club members have joined the radio as very vital employees and also been able to join political offices in the country.
- Over 20 main branches have been inaugurated with hundreds of smaller units all over the region the radio covers.
- Most members have attended the club’s workshop organized to disseminate knowledge about self development and poverty eradication.
- Under the club, other units have been created depending on the program that interest different people E.g. Mambo Bado, Nekolera Gyange, Akezimbira etc.
- Projects like:poutry farming,micro financing and social security systems”Munno Mukabbi” have been created in districts like Kampala, Jinja, Masaka, Mpigi , Kayunga etc.
- Community Policing lessons have been given to several members and certificates have been awarded by Old Kampala Police to that effect.
The club has hope of creating more CBS Fans Club Branches, enlarge existing projects and create new ones, and get involved always in CBS FM’s projects and programs whenever they may be called upon.